Live chat has a lot of advantages going for your business. It can increase your sales, cut down expenses, improve your real-time assistance, and keep your employees happy. But like everything else, if you don’t use it correctly it will result in failure.
If you’re interested in exploring the world of chat support, you have to make sure you’re making the most out of it. Here are some tips to help you maximize the untapped potential of live-chat software:
• Prepare your team. Live chat is great, but if it’s used by people who know nothing about your business, it’s worthless. You need to make sure your team is highly trained in customer service as well as the ins and outs of your business.
• Maximize analytics. Analytics, according to Wikipedia, is the discovery and communication of meaningful patterns in data. In simple terms, it gives you a heads up on how people are getting to your site, how people are using your site, and where they are having problems. Live chat software often includes its own analytics application, but a few of them can sync up with other, more powerful analytics software like Salesforce and Google Analytics, giving you that edge in information.
• Take note of the time. No, this doesn’t mean having a clock on your live chat support software. It means you have to set up your operation hours so that you can have the most number of people available to chat with at the right time of the day. Online businesses can be accessed from anywhere and at anytime, so be mindful of your operating hours.
• Less canned, more personal. Yes, chat software comes with canned responses, but don’t settle for these robotic greetings or responses. Personalize them so that your customers will stay interested. Remember: no one wants to talk to a robot.
• Sales people make good customer service people, too. Customer service specialists are good people to have on your chat support team, but sales people will ultimately give you that edge because aside from helping your customers, they can also land a sale or even see an up-sell opportunity just from a simple inquiry.
• Beware the surge. Although you can have your agents handle two people at one time, or three if they feel like being super-agents, it doesn’t mean a thing if you don’t have enough people. At times, even with enough people, you will still have people waiting for someone to talk to. It’s inevitable, yes, and you have to assure them that someone will get to them as soon as possible.
• Customize, customize, customize. Chat software always has room for customization. Everything from the appearance of the chat window, to how your customers can get a hold of a representative. You can even customize how long you wait before you send an invite to someone who’s stuck on a page of your website. Don’t go with the generic, or with the most popular. You have to know what you want from your live chat software and customize it so it meets your needs.
• Get social. And no, it does not mean going out for parties. After your agent completes a chat session, you can have them ask the customer to like your Facebook page or follow your site on Twitter and Instagram to get the latest updates from your site. With the power social networking sites hold, you have to be able to take advantage.
Live chat need not be too intimidating, or be a useless pile of code, if you know how to maximize its potential. Hire the right people, customize your live chat application, and keep your responses personal to ensure you get the most out of chat software. Once you’ve decided that live chat really is the best for your business, you can visit the sites of ApexChat and other live chat providers to get you going.
ApexChat is a Live Chat company that provides live chat software and service.