October 8, 2012
Note: old man in green is my old man. The guy sitting on the bike with a broken arm and doing the honours is Kelly (racing related injury) who I bought the bike from and who built up the engine.
I got the bike on the dyno on Saturday and ran her up to tune the new carb and exhaust in. The last time it was on the dyno it had a hideously loud but well functioning megaphone exhaust which has been swaped off for something a bit quieter to keep the peace. Whilst it was making almost as much power as it was with the megaphone (19.6 vs 20.4hp), the curve was on the piss. A few changes in pilot and main jets and resetting of the fuel floats filled in a large hole in the curve.
Unfortunately I didn’t have a new plug with me because it seemed that the current one was a bit poked. A tighten up of the gap found a bit more in the curve but we left a little disappointed in the result. Although it went off the dyno a huge amount better than it did when it rolled on, the illusive megaphone curve taunted me whilst trying to get to bed that night. I’ll get a new plug and consider having a go at moving the needle around but I’m really dreaming of how to quieten down the megaphone to an acceptable race level.
I painted the seat frame on Sunday which improved it’s looks drastically but with summer holidays coming closer and my wallet tightening further I don’t think I’ll paint it until next year… maybe. Racing is on this weekend and hopefully the rain stays away because I am beyond addicted and I need a hit of racing.